Assignment 1 | Law homework help
Posted: November 15th, 2021
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 1 and 2 from your textbook, watch the video Overcrowded: The Messy Politics of CA’s Prison Crisis, and review pages 2513-2533 only from the article Whom Should We Punish, and How? Rational Incentives and Criminal Justice Reform. This assignment includes an outline described below. The outline’s purpose is for you to prepare a foundation for your approach to your Week 2 assignment.
Including a minimum of two scholarly and/or credible resources, please prepare an outline of issues in corrections that briefly addresses, in approximately one paragraph each, the following:
- Explain the issue(s) in at least one U.S. Supreme Court Case published within the past 10 years that addresses the balance between constitutional rights of incarcerated persons and administrative functions in corrections. (Approximately one paragraph)
- To assist you with this part, note that the issue(s) in a U.S. Supreme Court case typically refers to the main challenge or claim that the court ultimately addresses in its ruling. For example, in Brown v. Plata (2011) (discussed in your textbook), a major issue was whether overcrowded conditions for correctional populations violates the Eighth Amendment of the U. S. Constitution. Although you may choose any relevant U.S. Supreme Court case published within the past 10 years, you may find it helpful to select a case from Table 5.1 of Chapter 5 in your textbook.
- Determine how the constitutional rights of incarcerated persons have been addressed by the U.S. Supreme Court in a case published within the past 10 years (for your selected case above). (Approximately one paragraph)
- To assist you with this part, consider how the decision addresses the balance between constitutional rights of incarcerated persons and administrative functions, drawing on factors considered by the U.S. Supreme Court in your selected case.
- Examine at least one cultural sensitivity issue and at least one diversity issue in corrections. (Approximately one paragraph)
- To assist you with this part, you may explore articles or state or federal websites that address cultural sensitivity and diversity in corrections. Use at least one scholarly or credible source.
*Note: You are encouraged to integrate any feedback from your instructor and upload the assignment to your ePortfolio (Links to an external site.).
The Issues and Constitutional Rights in Corrections paper
- Must be one to two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.) and Outlining (Links to an external site.) resources.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least two scholarly or credible sources in addition to the course text.